OUR BELIEFS ... A QUICK GLANCE
- God is bigger, better and closer than we can imagine.
- There is one God ... who is eternally Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- Nothing in creation "just happens." God made and controls it all for His glory.
- The Bible is God's perfect guidebook for believing and living. It is totally true.
- Jesus was fully God and man on earth and is the eternal Son of God.
- Jesus died for sin & was raised back to life for the salvation of those who believe.
- Jesus is alive. He is coming again to reign as King and to establish His kingdom.
- Through His Holy Spirit, God lives in and through Christians now.
- Grace sets a relationship with God in motion.
- Salvation is by grace, not works.
- Faith is the only way to begin and grow in our relationship with God.
- We are saved from our sin by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.
- Heaven & hell are real places.
- Those who trust Jesus enjoy heaven forever.
- The church is to serve people like Jesus served people.
OUR BELIEFS ... AN EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- We believe the Bible is the written word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit and without error in the original manuscripts.
- We believe in the Holy Trinity. There is one God, who exists eternally in three persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe that all are sinners and totally unable to save themselves from God's displeasure in and of themselves through religion and good works.
- We believe that God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whosever believes in Him ... will have eternal life.
- We believe that eternal life is received by grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone.
- We believe that Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who through His perfect life and sacrificial death atoned for the sins of all who will trust in Him alone for salvation.
- We believe in the absolute sovereignty of God and that He ordains whatever comes to pass; we also believe that man is completely responsible before this holy and sovereign God.
- We believe that God is gracious and faithful to His people, and continues to honor His commitments to His people.
- We believe in the power of the Holy Spirit working through the means of grace.
- We believe in two sacraments: the sacraments of Communion and Baptism.
- We believe that the Holy Spirit indwells God's people and gives them the strength and wisdom to trust Christ and follow Him.
- We believe in the primacy of grace to motivate and enable believers to bring God glory.
- We believe that grace alone opens our hearts to respond to the gospel for forgiveness of sins and eternal life; we also believe that grace working in us motivates and enables us to live transformed lives.
- We believe that Jesus will return, bodily and visibly, to judge all mankind and to receive His people to Himself. All true believers will be resurrected at the final judgment and will live eternally. All unbelievers will face eternal judgment, separated by God forever because they refused to place their hope in the finished work of Jesus Christ.
- We believe that all aspects of our lives are to be lived to the glory of God under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
OUR BELIEFS ... A CLOSER LOOK
THE BIBLE | God wrote a book. It is completely true.
The Bible is God's Word to all people. The Holy Spirit inspired human authors to write the books of the Bible. God Himself chose every word of Scripture. The Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testaments, is the verbally inspired word of God and is both infallible and inerrant in the original writings. It is completely sufficient for spiritual growth, totally authoritative in every issue it communicates, and always relevant to life. We can trust it for all matters in this life and eternity.
GOD | God is Three in One. Father. Son. Spirit.
Scripture teaches that God created everything out of nothing. God has existed in relationship with Himself for all eternity. We believe that there is one living and true God, eternally existing in three persons; and that these are equal in every divine perfection. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit have distinct but harmonious roles in creation, providence and redemption.
GOD THE FATHER | God is Great. God is Good. He is Supreme. He is Father.
God the Father is great: He is all-powerful, all-knowing, unchanging, and holy. It is in Him that we live, move and exist. God is good. He is our Father. He is loving, compassionate, and faithful to His people and His promises. We believe in God the Father, an inﬁnite, personal spirit, perfect in holiness, wisdom, power and love. We believe that He perfectly foreknows all that shall come to pass, that He concerns Himself mercifully in the affairs of men, that He hears and answers prayer, and that He saves from sin and death all who come to Him through faith in Jesus.
JESUS | Jesus is God the Son. Heis the Way, the Truth and the Life.
Jesus Christ lived on this earth and was completely human but at the same time completely God. He is the only plan for bringing people who are enemies of God back into a right relationship with God. He lived a perfect life so that He could be a substitution for us in satisfying God's demands for perfection. He defeated death in His resurrection so that we could have life. He is coming again. The Lord Jesus Christ, the eternal Son of God, became man without ceasing to be God, having been conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. This was so that He might reveal God and redeem sinful man. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ accomplished our redemption through His death on the cross as a representative, vicarious, substitutionary sacriﬁce and that our justiﬁcation is made sure by His literal, physical resurrection from the dead. We believe that the Lord Jesus Christ ascended into heaven and is now exalted at the right hand of God where, as our High Priest, He fulﬁlls this ministry as Advocate, Representative, and Intercessor. We believe Jesus is coming again to judge the living and the dead.
THE HOLY SPIRIT | The Holy Spirit is God the Spirit. For those who believe, He is in us and with us.
We believe that the Holy Spirit is a full and equal member of the Trinity. He convicts the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment in order to show people in the world that they need Jesus. He is the Supernatural Agent in regeneration, making believers new creations in Christ and bringing them into God’s family as His children. In so doing, He indwells, protects, and seals them unto the day of redemption at the end of time. The Holy Spirit is an abiding Helper, Teacher and Guide. He lives inside every Christian from the moment they place their faith in Jesus. He is the believer’s source of power for life, ministry and growth. To tap into that power, believers must continually yield their lives to Him in faith.
MAN | Wonderfully Created. Totally Depraved. Beautifully Redeemed.
We believe that man was created in the image and likeness of God, but that through Adamʼs sin the race fell, inherited a sinful nature, and became alienated from God. Man is totally depraved and of himself utterly unable to remedy his lost condition. All human beings are born with a sinful nature and are sinners by choice. They are justly therefore under condemnation. This judgment includes physical, spiritual and eternal death. We believe that those who repent, forsake sin and trust Jesus as Savior are delivered from condemnation and receive eternal life. They are also regenerated by the Holy Spirit and become new creatures in Christ upon salvation.
SALVATION | By Grace. Through Faith. In Christ. For God’s Glory. Period.
The blood of Jesus Christ, shed on the cross, provides the only way of salvation through the forgiveness of sin. Our disobedient nature and actions have eternally separated us from our Creator. No matter how hard we try, we can never earn our way back into God’s presence. Our only hope is to trust Jesus as God’s provision for our disobedience. Salvation is a gift from God, and it cannot be earned through our own efforts. It is received by personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Good works in no way accomplish or aid in salvation. Salvation is accomplished as man is saved through faith in Jesus. Saving faith is a confidence in the finished, redeeming work of Jesus Christ through His perfect life, atoning death, and victorious resurrection. Salvation is through faith alone, by grace alone, in Christ alone according to Scripture alone, for the glory of God alone. Saving faith entails turning from sin and self-effort (repentance) and trusting Christ as Lord andSavior (faith). Placing one’s faith in Jesus, brings a person into God’s family as His child and thus securing the eternal and abundant life Jesus promises all believers. A believer’s salvation is through the most trustworthy being in the universe – Jesus Christ! A Christian didn’t do anything to earn salvation, and therefore can’t do anything to lose it. Salvation is maintained by God’s trustworthiness and love in and through Jesus Christ. A believer’s life should reflect God’s salvation but does not in any way secure it.
GOD'S PURPOSE OF GRACE | Salvation is from the Lord and for the Lord.
Election is the gracious purpose of God, according to which He foreknows, predestines, calls, regenerates, justiﬁes, sanctiﬁes, and gloriﬁes sinners. It is consistent with the free agency of man. It is the glorious display of God's sovereign goodness and is inﬁnitely wise, holy, and unchangeable. We believe that all the redeemed, once saved, are kept by Godʼs power and are thus secure in Christ forever. We believe that from all eternity God determined in grace to save a great multitude of guilty sinners from every tribe, language, people and nation. To this end, He foreknew them and chose them. We believe that God justiﬁes and sanctiﬁes those who by grace have faith in Jesus, and that he will one day glorify them—all to the praise of His glorious grace. In love God commands and implores all people to repent and believe, having set His saving love on those whom He has chosen and having ordained to come to faith in Jesus as their Redeemer.
THE CHRISTIAN LIFE | Christ in us, the Hope of Glory.
We believe that each believer is baptized and indwelled with the Holy Spirit at conversion. We believe that believers are given all that is needed for life and godliness through the presence of the Holy Spirit in their lives. The Holy Spirit sanctiﬁes believers and grows them to maturity in Christ. We believe that it is the privilege and responsibility of believers to minister and serve according to the gifts and grace of God that is given to them. All believers are to share their faith, make disciples, and partner with other believers for the fulﬁllment of the Great Commission. Christians are commanded in Scripture to fully follow Jesus and to live the Christian life in the context of the local church. As the Trinity lives in community, believers are called to live life in the community of the Church.
THE CHURCH | Godʼs People on God’s Mission Reaching Godʼs World.
The church is the body of Christ in the world today. She is the hands and feet of Jesus, to go and to do His work in the world. We believe in the universal church, a living spiritual body of which Christ is the head and all regenerated persons are members. The universal church is made up of all believers in all places and from all times. The Bible tells us the local church is a body of baptized believers who come together for worship, fellowship, discipleship, ministry, and mission. Local churches are to partner together in love and unity, intent on the ultimate purpose of glorifying God by loving Him and by making Him known to the world.
THE LAST THINGS | Christ Will Come Again. He Will Make All Things New.
God, in His own time and in His own way, will bring the world to its appropriate end. He will do this through Jesus. According to His promise, Jesus Christ will return personally and visibly in glory to the earth, the dead will be raised and Christ will judge all men in righteousness. We believe in the personal and visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ to earth and the building of His kingdom. Man was created to exist forever. He will either exist eternally separated from God because of sin in hell or in heaven with God through forgiveness and salvation. Heaven and hell are places of eternal existence. What one decides about Jesus in this life will determine where that person will spend eternity. If one rejects Him, eternal separation from God in Hell results. When a person receives Jesus by faith, eternity with God in heaven is the gift one receives.